May 31, 1975 - Official grand opening. Congressman Neal Smith, Altoona Mayor Lloyd Sievers and Adventureland President John Krantz spoke at the opening ceremony. (But parts of the park opened in 1974.)
|Information on this site is unofficial. It is compiled by fans of Adventureland amusement park in Altoona, Iowa (near Des Moines). There may be inaccuracies and omissions. For official Adventureland information, visit the official website.|
This page was last updated on 07/26/2018. Total Pages: 314. Total Files: 327.
- 1 Latest Updates
- 2 Overview
- 3 Bars
- 4 Contests
- 5 Entertainment
- 6 Food
- 7 Games
- 8 Rides Operating
- 9 Shops
- 10 External Links
- 11 Video
- 9/6/2016: It appears that almost all of the park will be open, except for Dragon Island and Outlaw Gulch. There are only a few rides (see below) that won't be operating.
- 9/15/2016: Check out the schedule grid and start planning your day.
- 9/16/2016: A few more VIP package details, and other minor updates.
- 9/20/2016: In a Facebook post, they referred to it as "Oktoberfest Food & Music Festival".
- 9/24/2016: After Adventureland closed for the final day of 2016, they posted the map and schedule for Oktoberfest.
Adventureland Iowa discounts, news and rumors: Oktoberfest details.
The 2nd annual Adventureland Oktoberfest was held on October 1, 2016, from 11am to 10pm, with rides operating until 9pm. It was sponsored by Star 102.5 and Sam Adams. 21+ and older only. Valid photo ID required for admission.
- Most rides will be open (see rides operating below).
- 5 stages of musical entertainment.
- 13 acts throughout the day.
- "Last Call" fireworks at 9:30pm.
- $15 admission which includes a 16oz Sam Adam's Octoberfest beer.
- Free event photo.
- Free admission to Season Pass holders (no beer included).
- Free parking.
- Tickets available on the website starting August 22, or sold at the park on the day of the event.
- $20 Belgium Feast
- $200 VIP package available (see below).
- $89 Adventureland Inn special: room, 2 passes and 2 "Recovery Brunch" buffets at Spectators Sports Bar and Grill for the morning of 10/2/16. (These were apparently sold out by August 19th.)
- Admission to Oktoberfest
- Oktoberfest refill mug
- Souvenir Frozen refill Yard with Lanyard
- Oktoberfest T-Shirt
- Belgium Feast meal
- VIP Wristband for exclusive area access
- 4 complimentary drink coupons for any drink venue throughout the park
- Complimentary Sam Adam's Octoberfest, Adam's Cider and But Light on draft
- Complimentary assorted import and domestic cans
- Complimentary bottled water
- Complimentary fountain drinks
- Complimentary assorted snacks throughout the day - ranging from light to heavy food service
- Reserved restrooms for the venue
- Screens to view Iowa and ISU games
- Iowa craft wines.
- Over 70 beers on top.
- Domestic and import cans.
- Specialty cocktails:
- Bloody Mary, Mimosa and Vodka bar
- Spiked frozen Mix-It-Up
- Ice Cream cocktails
Here are the bars:
- Assorted Beer Trailers
- Brave The Monster Shot Bar
- Cookies & Cream
- Coors Light Café
- Craft Cocktails
- Iowa Beer and Wine
- Iowa Café Bloody Mary, Mimosa & Vodka Bar
- Main Street Creamery Spiked Shakes & Floats
- Oktoberfest Beer Trailer
- Pumpkin & Cider Beer Trailer
- Rathskeller Bier Garten
- River City Abita & Tequila Bar
- Sheriff Sam’s Whiskey Bar
- Shots Bar
- Smoking Bar
- Spiked Icee Mix It Up
- Storm Chaser Bar
- Summer’s Last Stand Cheap Drinks
- Angry apple bobbing - most apples bobbed from a barrel of Angry Orchard in 3 minutes.
- Bavarian costume contest with $600 in prizes.
- Stein hoisting - winner is who can hold a giant stein up the longest.
13 bands performing on 5 stages
- Brian Congdon
- Bruze Day
- BS & Liars
- Cowboy Randy Erwin
- Dad V
- Damon Dotson
- Dusty Baird
- The Nadas
- Party Party - karaoke band
- Pianopalooza featuring Tony Bohnenkamp, Jerry Lorenson and Friends
- The Pork Tornados
- The Spazmatics
A variety of street performers provided by Lumina Entertainment including jugglers, stilt walkers, hula-hoopers, and fire performances after dark.
This grid should make it easier to see what is happening and when, so you can plan to see all 13 acts. Good luck! (And please let me know if you find any errors.) You can also view this as a Google calendar:
Or subscribe to this calendar on your phone.
|Time||Carousel||Coors Light Cafe||Iowa Beer & Wine||Main Stage||Rathskeller||Sheriff Sam's||Contests|
|11:30||Dusty Baird||Brian Cogdon|
|2:00||Cowboy Randy||Decoy||BS & The Liars|
|3:30||Brian Condon||3:45 Angry Apple Bobbing|
|5:00||Party Party||Pork Tornadoes|
|6:30||6:45: Stein Hoisting Finals|
|9:30||"Last Call" Fireworks|
Over 25 food vendors and 7 food trucks, plus limited-capacity Bavarian Beer Feast ($20 meal) available from noon to 6:30 p.m. There were a few items added to the map after the initial list went out, so some entries under "Stands" might be food trucks. I don't know yet.
- Alpine Foods
- Cookies and Cream
- Coors Light Cafe
- Iowa Cafe Fried Chicken
- Rathskeller Bier Garten
- Spectators Sports Bar and Grill
- Stella Artois Clubhouse Featuring the Belgium Beer Feast VIP Event
- 515 Pi
- Captain Roy's
- Flip N' Chop
- Karam's Mediterranean Grill
- Miss Molly's
- The Big Red Food Truck
- The Hole Shebang
Specialty Food Stands
- Benoit's Ice Cream
- Bistro Montage
- Blackcat Ice Cream
- Blue Tomato
- Brazilian Beef Charcoal Co.
- Cheese Shop, The
- Claxson’s BBQ
- Fireside Grill
- Formaro's Stuffed
- German Authentisch Samarui Scallop Fried Rice
- Guru BBQ
- Iowa Pork Chop Shop
- Jack & Vinnies
- Korean Chix BBQ
- Popping with Pride Kettle Korn
- Spectator's Sports Bar & Grill
- State Fair Guinea Grinders
- Strudl Haus
- Tami’s Tarts
Pay to Play
- Alpine Games
- County Fair Games
- Hamm’s Beer Speed Pitch
- Keg Bowling
- Pumpkin Launcher
- Roomba Beer Pong
Free to Play
To be announced.
- Balloon Race
- Der Flinger
- Falling Star
- Giant Sky Wheel
- Lady Luck
- Space Shot
- Storm Chaser
- Tea Cups
- Town Square Carousel
This means "most" of the park will be open. Since the event is 21+, none of the kiddie rides are needed. It looks like Dragon Island and beyond is off limits (so no Dragon, Sidewinder or Outlaw). It looks like we'll only miss the Inverter, Frantic Freeway bumper cars, Sky Ride, Underground and the two water-ish rides, Splash Over and Raging River. Not bad at all for $15!
- Airbrush Avenue will be doing airbrush T-shirts, etc.
- Hollywood Caricatures will be operating at two locations.
- http://www.adventurelandoktoberfest.com/ - official website.